Sunday, December 16, 2012

Twelve Days of Cooking: Day 4

Hey! Today is the fourth day of the Twelve Days of Cooking! Today’s post will be a lot more exciting than yesterday’s. It’s about muffins! And who doesn’t love muffins?
           
            Yesterday, my friend and I made country pear muffins. The recipe is from Eat Fresh Food by Rozanne Gold. I had to bring a dish made of local ingredients to my Girl Scout meeting, so I brought the muffins. The muffins were cooked with local eggs, pears, and baking powder.  They turned out so well that I splurged and ate about… 4? 5? 6? I don’t remember anymore… PLEASE do not follow my example! I was a bad child! ;)
            I noticed that pretty much all of the dishes that were brought to the meeting had apples as the local ingredient. Then, we discussed some of the seasonal produce we can buy at different times of the year. Even I, the food geek, didn’t know exactly which vegetables are in season during the early spring! It occurred to me that when people think of the seasons, they think of one or two fruits and aren’t really sure about the rest. (This is a general statement, of course.) I urge you to look at the Pacific Northwest growing seasons chart I posted a couple days ago to learn about which fruits and vegetables are in season! I also recommend that you save that link somewhere, for it’ll be really useful if you try gardening in the spring and summer. It’s also good to know which foods are locally grown when it comes to meal planning. If you know a few vegetables and fruits that are in season during a particular month, you can plan meals that use these seasonal ingredients!
            I am so excited for Christmas!!! There are only nine days left (probably eight for you, since I’m posting this so late at night and you’ll probably reading this on the 17th) until Christmas and I can’t wait. Before making muffins, my friend and I went Christmas shopping and had so much fun! We got my cousin a little gift and tried on clothes at BP. One of the jackets we found looked like a quilt… good times.
            Please follow this blog, subscribe to me on YouTube, follow me on Twitter and email me! All my information is in the sidebar. Also, remember to vote on the poll – there are just a couple days left! Based on the current results, I started planning a holiday duet with my friend Connor. We’ll hopefully be able to find a time to rehearse it before, after or during rehearsal for Aladdin. If it doesn’t get posted, then at least we tried!  I’d love to hear more suggestions of something fun and non-food-related that I could post for the Twelve Days of Cooking. Comment your thoughts below! Stay healthy and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment