Monday, December 17, 2012

Twelve Days of Cooking: Day 5

               Hey! Today is Day 5 of the Twelve Days of Cooking, and I'm going to share a holiday recipe. For the next couple of days, my posts aren't going to be about the things I've been cooking because I have a really busy week ahead of me. Hopefully the posts will still be worthwhile and fun to read!

               I went to the PCC Natural Markets (a natural/organic grocery store in the Puget Sound area) website and found some good holiday recipes. The one that looked the most appealing to me was a Butternut Squash-Apple Soup. This is an awesome holiday recipe; apples and butternut squash are in season in Washington State during December, it's comfort food and will pair well with just about any traditional holiday recipe you serve along with it. http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/pcc/recipes/butternut-squash-and-apple-soup


(From the PCC website)
 

               I encourage you to go to the websites of Food Network, Whole Foods, PCC, famous chefs, the Cooking Channel and more to find holiday recipes. Every time you find one, think about which ingredients in it could be grown locally and which ones can't.  Like I've said over and over, it's so important - especially in the wintertime - to buy local food and support local farmers/companies! I found a food mile calculator that you can use to figure out just how far your produce travelled. While this calculator only accounts for countries and not individual states and provinces, it gives you a good idea of how far away a lot of the food we eat really is. Bananas, pineapples and tomatoes are among the foods we eat all year round that often (or always) are shipped into the US from Mexico, Central America or South America! http://www.organiclinker.com/food-miles.cfm

              Please subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow this blog, follow me on Twitter and email me! All my information is in the sidebar. To be a follower of this blog, you need to have any account affiliated with Google: a Google account, a YouTube account, a Google+ account, etc. Being a follower doesn't take anything except clicking a button - Blogger will send you updates via the Blogger interface, but it won't bombard you with emails or do anything to annoy you. By following me, all you're doing is showing that you like my blog and support what I do. Stay healthy and happy holidays!            

No comments:

Post a Comment