Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Delicious Deli Meat

Hey, everybody! I have a post on a super awesome sandwich that I ate a few minutes ago. I know the poll results aren't final, but it looks like Mediterranean Pita is the winner. Even so, I thought I'd post a recipe for a delicious deli meat sandwich. I've never been much of a fan of what most call "lunchmeat," but lately I've actually enjoyed ordering paninis with chicken "lunchmeat" on them. As I was thinking about ways to make my own deli meat sandwich (I prefer the term "deli meat" over "lunchmeat"), I decided I'd find random things in the fridge and turn it into a warm sandwich. I had apples, gouda cheese, lots of tarragon, and lettuce. These ingredients work beautifully with each other, so I figured I'd combine them in an amazing sandwich. My dog got to eat the leftovers, and she came back to me wanting more! This sandwich works very well with homemade bread, but you can definitely use storebought bread if that's all you have on hand.

Turkey and Apple Sandwich with Tarragon Butter
Serves 1

Ingredients
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 or 2 slices all natural turkey deli meat
1/4 of a cameo apple, thiny sliced
1/4 cup shredded gouda cheese
1 small leaf of lettuce
2 tbsp minced tarragon
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
Canola or olive oil spray

Preparation
1. Combine minced tarragon, butter and olive oil in a very small bowl or ramakin. Spread the tarragon butter on both slices of bread.

2. Heat a pan with a bit of canola or olive oil spray on medium heat. Place a slice of bread in the pan, tarragon butter side up. Layer with sliced apples, shredded gouda, slice(s) of turkey, lettuce and the other slice of bread. Spray the top slice of bread with oil spray. Check periodically to see if the bottom slice of bread is golden-brown and crispy, and when it is, flip over the sandwich with a large spatula (the kind that you would use to flip pancakes or a crepe). Once the other side is crispy and golden-brown, remove sandwich from eat and cut into 2 triangles. Serve with your choice of grapes or cherries on the side.

The winner of the poll will have a video made to demonstrate how to make it. The rest will get pictures and/or recipes posted. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow this blog, and pass on this link to your friends that love to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment