Sunday, April 17, 2011

Redesigning Recipes

Hey, everyone! I just finished eating a delicious meal of Rosemary Alfredo Chicken. I redesigned the recipe so it would be much healthier and tastier, and I succeeded! The reason I redesigned my recipe was because I realized that my original recipe wasn't as healthy as I thought it was. Sure, cream is alright to use in cooking. So is milk, cheese, and a tad of butter. However, when all of these ingredients are combined, they aren't as healthy as just one standing alone is. I thought long and hard about how I could make this healthier. I wasn't just going to get rid of this recipe, because it was the very first one I ever created! It holds fond memories. The solution came to me while I was flipping through my favorite cookbook (Eat Fresh Food: Awesome Recipes for Teen Chefs  - by Rozanne Gold). Rozanne uses a lot of vegetable purees for her sauces, such as a jade zucchini sauce for pasta primavera, and a red pepper sauce for mac n' cheese. I thought that I could make a cauliflower puree. It is still alfredo, which means "white" in Italian, because cauliflower, milk, and parmesan cheese are white. With a bit of fresh rosemary, dried oregano, and 3 garlic cloves, this sauce was a winner. It still has that nice, cream flavor because of the milk, and it also tastes lighter and healthier. For an extra bonus, this recipe has 3 - 4 servings of vegetables per person! (It serves 3-4 people, so if you are serving four you will have 3 servings, and 3 people get 4 servings each.)

My blog has also made some drastic changes. I have discontinued the mailing list because there were only two people on it, and I have also discontinued the "Question of the Week" feature. Nevertheless, I have added something even better: Madison Dillon's Test Kitchen! I have a list of 7 recipes that I believe need to be improved, and of course, there will most likely be new additions to this list. All test kitchen members will receive an email about once a month with a recipe that I have redesigned and eaten myself. Then, they have to make that recipe within the next thirty days and give me all of their feedback. It would really help if I can have a lot of test kitchen members. This way, I can get a good idea of how other people receive my recipes.

If you are interested in being a part of Madison Dillon's Test Kitchen, send me an email titled "test kitchen" and I will add you to the list. If you would like to receive my redesigned Rosemary Alfredo Chicken recipe, please join the test kitchen within the next week. The very first test kitchen email will go out on the 25th or 26th of April.

Please follow this blog, subscribe to my YouTube channel, and join the test kitchen! Stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment