Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Baking Gone Wrong

I am so NOT a baker. When my cookbook comes out, it probably won't have a dessert section. Oh well.

I can bake if I have a recipe. If I'm trying to make my own recipe, well, let's just say that what I make is almost inedible. I tried making oatmeal-cranberry cookies last night. Bad idea, Madison. Bad idea. I tried making them chewy by using 2 egg yolks instead of 1 whole egg. The cookies turned out to be way too dry because the egg whites were gone, so I had to melt some extra butter and put it in. That still didn't work. So, my dad and I squeezed the heck out of the cookies just so they would hold. They were tiny, too. Then, when I put them in the oven, the all slid to the edge of my cookie sheet. So I tried re-arranging them WHILE THEY WERE IN THE OVEN. Whoops. A great example of why baking cookies at 10:00pm is not a good idea. So I took the cookies out of the oven, re-arranged them, and carefully slid them into the oven. And then I almost burned them.

Two lessons I have learned from this experience: 1, follow the recipe when baking. 2, don't trust Betty Crocker to give you the foundations of a cookie recipe. She may have delicious Thanksgiving stuffing, but that certainly doesn't mean that her cookies will taste good.
So that's my baking fail story of December. Look at how small those are! That plate is a small plate, and those cookies are about half the size of my fist. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment