Sunday, May 18, 2014

Gluten-Free Berry Crumble

Hey everybody! Since springtime is upon us, I figured I would share a recipe using my favorite spring fruit: berries! While local (from Washington) berries aren't quite in season, lots of berries from California are in season, and I've been eating lots of them lately. I had been toying with the idea of making something with berries for awhile, but I couldn't decide what to make. Then, Colleen Ballinger, one of my favorite YouTubers, released a video teaching you how to make her favorite berry crumble. I decided that I could make a healthy version of this recipe to share with you guys, and it turned out super well! I hope you guys enjoy this easy recipe as much as I did! It's gluten-free and vegan, too! 


Gluten-Free Berry Crumble
Serves 8 - 10 

Ingredients
1½ cups fresh strawberries 
1½ cups fresh blueberries
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup fresh blackberries
2 tbsp agave nectar
½ tsp cinnamon

For crumble topping: 
2 cups almond flour 
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats 
½ tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
½ cup agave nectar
1 cup coconut sugar

*You can use any amount of berries as you like as long as it adds up to 4½ cups total! You could use 4½ cups of strawberries, switch the amounts for raspberries and blueberries, etc. Do whatever you like best!
**Frozen fruit will work too, but fresh fruit is preferable.
***If you're allergic to nuts, you can substitute the type of flour you use. Just make sure it's about the same consistency as almond flour, which is ever so slightly coarser than all-purpose flour. A gluten-free flour mix would be great. 

Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine the berries, agave nectar and cinnamon in a medium-large bowl. Set aside.

2. Put the ingredients for the topping in a large standing mixer. Using the dough paddle, mix on a medium-low speed (2 or 4 worked well for me). Mix until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and make a crumbly topping. 

3. Lay 2/3 of the crumble mixture on the bottom of a 8x13 pan. Distribute evenly across the bottom of the pan and press down into a firm base layer. Top with all of the fruit and lay in an even layer. Finally, sprinkle the remaining 1/3 of the crumble mixture on top of the berries. Keep this loose - it's just a crunchy topping! 

4. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. The topping should be barely golden brown, and the berries should have released some of their juices. Remove from the oven and let cool on the stove top for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy! 

I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please give it a try - it's so easy and it's perfect for this season! I made this crumble while making dinner and preparing both dishes only took me half an hour (not including baking time). You can always do homework while it's in the oven, too! Please give it a try and share your recreations with me using #teenscancooktoo on Instagram and Twitter. Don't forget to follow Teens Can Cook, Too on all the social media handles below: 

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdiKFPsBoLhYw2W42P7LvKQ 

Stay healthy!
- Madeline 

No comments:

Post a Comment