Monday, February 17, 2014

Personalized Caesar Salad

Hey everyone! Sorry this post is late - I was sick for the majority of the weekend, so I didn't have time to cook until last night and write this post until today. Nevertheless, I'm back with another way to make getting greens easier.

One of the most common ways to get greens is through salads, and one of the most popular salads is a Caesar salad. Caesar salads are not the best health-wise - the calories in the dressing are pretty high, and it's traditionally served with a light-green romaine lettuce. Don't get me wrong, romaine is healthy, but the kind you usually see in a Caesar salad is a light green, which has far fewer phytonutrients than a darker lettuce. I have redesigned the dressing to be much more nutritious and added much healthier veggies into the mix to give this classic a healthy boost. The more veggies you add, the more types of vitamins you'll get, which is why I recommend you turn this into a big family salad. Choose from any veggies you want and add them with some nutritious greens. The best part is that you can make this salad multiple nights in a row with a different combination of veggies while using up all of the dressing, so it's a different experience every night. 



Personalized Caesar Salad
Serves 8 - 10 

Ingredients
6 cups leafy greens of your choice
Suggestions:
  • Kale
  • Chard
  • Spinach
  • Spring mix
  • Arugula
  • Red leaf lettuce
  • Watercress
3 cups diced veggies of your choice
Suggestions: 
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes (leave them whole or halve them)
  • Roma tomatoes
  • Avocado
  • Bell peppers (any color) 
  • Onions
  • Carrots
  • Radishes
  • Celery
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
For dressing:
1 lb (1 average package) of silken tofu
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
The juice of 1 large lemon
1 large garlic clove, peeled
2 tsp high-quality Worcestershire sauce 
1 tbsp Dijon mustard 
1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

*You may use more than one leafy green veggie! Combine kale and chard for a super green salad, or lettuce and spring mix for something a little more classic. I used spring mix, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes in my salad, but I threw mine together in about five minutes, so I didn't have the time to add a bunch of other veggies. Do whatever you want and have the time for. 

Preparation
1. Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a food processor, blender or Vita-Mix. Blend on a high speed for about one minute, or until the contents reach a smooth and thin consistency. If you want your dressing thinner, add a little bit of water. Adjust the seasonings and set aside. 

2. Combine all of the greens and veggies you chose in a large serving bowl. Mix well. Pour the dressing over the top and serve immediately. If you so choose, you could add a wedge of lemon to each serving for each person to squeeze over their salad.

I hope you enjoy this recipe! I served it to a bunch of my friends the other day, and they approved, so you will too. They said it tasted exactly like caesar dressing, and they couldn't believe that I made it out of tofu! It's a much better choice than store-bought dressing. I HATE store-bought dressing. Hate it, hate it, HATE IT. I'll make my own dressing any day, and I'm so glad I have another homemade dressing recipe in my arsenal so I can avoid store-bought dressings. 

Please make sure you're keeping up with Teens Can Cook, Too on all of the social media sites below:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/teenscancooktoo (@teenscancooktoo)
Instagram: http://instagram.com/teenscancooktoo (@teenscancooktoo)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Teens-Can-Cook-Too/113579778813832


Stay healthy!
- Madeline 

No comments:

Post a Comment