Sunday, January 5, 2014

Homemade Hummus + 2014 Changes

Hey, everybody! Happy 2014! I hope you all had a great holiday season. Today is a super exciting day for Teens Can Cook, Too, because there's a new recipe, a new video, and a new format to the blog.

The new format isn't too different. From now on, every month is going to have a theme, and all the posts will be centered around that theme. This month's theme is school lunches. We're all heading back to school tomorrow, and I think we should all start off the new year with some healthy eating tools that we can use at school. I'm used to bringing my lunch to school because my elementary and middle school didn't have a cafeteria. My high school does, and it's a really great cafeteria with freshly made meals, but I still prefer to bring my lunch. Bringing a lunch is so routine for me, but for most others, it isn't. From what I've heard from my friends who attend public schools, public school lunches are awful. Most are just reheated in the kitchen, and they have no nutritional value. If you go to a school like this, hopefully I can help you learn how to make a nutritious lunch so you don't have to put up with those nasty meals!

A really important part of school lunches is your snack. You need to have enough nutrients in your body between classes to get you through the day, and a protein bar isn't going to cut it. Try steering away from granola bars, even if they're the high-quality kind. I'll admit that I'm guilty of eating granola bars at school, but I'm trying my best to cut back because they're so high in sugar. If you find yourself in desperate need of more food, go for the granola/protein bars that are lowest in sugar content. Do a little research and find the best ones for you! My preferred snacks are cut up fruits and veggies. These are so easy to add to your lunch. Cut up an assortment of your favorites the night before school and store them in the fridge. In the morning, pull them out and put them in your lunchbox! Veggies won't brown or get slimy overnight. For fruits, take whole fruits like apples, pears, peaches, and oranges. If you have braces and can't eat whole fruits, slice them up the morning before school. Bring an assortment of colors to get lots of different types of nutrients. You can also pack some homemade dips to spice things up. My favorite is hummus, and there's a recipe below!

Click here for the Homemade Hummus video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVgABcaSu8&feature=youtu.be

All you need are these simple ingredients!
Homemade Hummus
Makes about 4 cups

Ingredients
2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
The juice of 1 lemon
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp cumin
About 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, for blending
About 2 tsp water, for blending (if needed)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Your favorite veggies, for dipping (suggestions: sliced bell peppers, sliced cucumbers, jicama sticks, celery sticks, baby carrots, snap peas, cauliflower florets, cherry tomatoes, etc.)

Preparation
1. Combine the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, sesame oil, cumin, salt and pepper in the food processor. Take the plastic plug out of the lid and put the lid on the food processor. Pulse the ingredients. While pulsing, gradually add the olive oil in through the open space in the lid. The more oil you add, the smoother it will be. Add the water if you want it smoother. Turn off the food processor, scrape down the sides with a spatula, and blend again until a smooth and thick consistency is reached.

2. Spoon the hummus into individual serving-sized Tupperware containers. Pack in your lunchbox with your favorite veggies, garnish the hummus with a bit of parsley, and enjoy!

I hope you enjoy this recipe! It's so simple, and such a great treat to have at school. Make it the night before school and put it in your lunch in the morning!

This whole week, I'll be posting pictures of my school lunches on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. I'm hoping that this will give you more insight into what I eat everyday at school and how to stay healthy! I'm still working on school lunches myself, so this will keep me in good shape too. Make sure you're following me on all the sites below so you can keep track of my meals this week:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/teenscancooktoo (@teenscancooktoo)
Instagram: 
http://instagram.com/teenscancooktoo (@teenscancooktoo)
Facebook: 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Teens-Can-Cook-Too/113579778813832
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdiKFPsBoLhYw2W42P7LvKQ  

Stay healthy!
- Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment