Sunday, June 23, 2013

Chickpea Salad Sandwiches

Hey everybody! As promised, here is my Sunday blog post. I'm starting rehearsals for Godspell tomorrow, and this week, I've been creating some quick and easy dinners that I can make in the morning and take to rehearsal. Here's one of the recipes I created. It's simple to make, packed with protein and vegetables, and has the perfect balance of textures and flavors. The soft beans and the crunchy celery pairs really well with the sweet bell peppers and pungent onions. The amount of sandwiches you make depends on how much filling you put on the sandwiches.

Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Serves 6 – 8


Ingredients
12 – 16 slices organic multigrain bread (such as Dave’s Killer Bread)
6 – 8 slices butter lettuce, washed
 
For filling:
2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans
½ cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
3 celery stalks, finely diced (keep the leafy green tops!)
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 roma tomato, finely diced
¼ of a large yellow onion, finely diced
½ cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
The juice of one lemon
½ tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation

1.      Place the drained and rinsed chickpeas in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash the garbanzo beans until they are mostly broken apart, but pieces of chickpea are still evident.

2.      Stir in the remaining ingredients for the filling. Adjust the seasonings accordingly.

3.      Assemble sandwiches by placing a few heaping spoonfuls of chickpea salad onto the bottom piece of bread. Top with a lettuce leaf and the other slice of bread. Serve.
 
Please follow this blog, like the Facebook Page, follow me on Twitter, subscribe to me on YouTube, and share this with your friends! I really want to spread the word about healthy eating and cooking, and the more followers I have, the more people will receive that message. Please send me (via Twitter  and/ or email is best) pictures of you making this recipe so I can see how it turned out. Stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment