Thursday, December 1, 2011

Superfood Soup

Hey, everybody! I am so sorry that it's been a month since my last post. Homework and rehearsals have taken over my life, and if I weren't sick at home, you probably wouldn't be reading this! I've stayed home from school for the past two days. I have a brutal cough, sore throat and a bit of a stuffy nose, but still have energy to cook and do other things.

My family got a large box of organic, mostly local produce in the mail from Full Circle Farms. A surprise array of vegetables and fruits show up at your door. My mom and I figured that the box would provide me perfect opportunities to think on my feet and create a recipe with whatever I'm given. The box contained red chard, which is a nutrient-dense superfood. I figured that by putting a ton of vegetables into a soup, I'd create the perfect immune system booster. I've attached my recipe and a picture.

Superfood Soup
Serves 6 - 8

This soup will definitely help you recover from any kind of common virus. The nutrient-dense chard and spinach, vitamin-C-packed bell pepper, lycopine in tomatoes, and comforting ginger all contribute to the name "superfood," and superfoods they are.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
A 1-inch long piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp orange zest
The juice of ½ of a lemon
1 large tomato, diced
3 celery stalks, diced (include the leaves if possible)
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 bunch of red chard, coarsely chopped (discard thick stems)
4 loosely packed cups of baby spinach
A couple handfuls of pine nuts, as a garnish
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation
1.      Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and pepper. Sauté until onions turn translucent. Add garlic, ginger, orange zest, lemon juice, tomatoes, celery, bell pepper, and salt. Sauté for 3 – 5 minutes, or until bell pepper and celery have softened a bit. Add broth and season once more if needed. Cover and bring to a simmer.

2.      Once simmering, add chard. Cover again and cook for 9 minutes. Then, add spinach. Cook until barely wilted. Adjust seasonings if needed.

3.      Serve each bowl topped with pine nuts.
Thanks to everyone that is supporting me! Remember to follow my blog, follow me on Twitter, subscribe to me on YouTube, and email me if you have any suggestions, questions, or things you'd like to share with me that involve cuisine. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. That soup looks so yummy and has so many beautiful colors.

    Shanan
    http://yogi-mommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete