Thursday, April 7, 2011

Everything Oatmeal

Hey, everybody! I am very excited to share my recipe for oatmeal. It uses ingredients from both the local and global food system.

Everything Oatmeal
Serves 3

This oatmeal is a delicious, hearty way to start off your day. A mixture of crisp cameo apples, pears, soft bananas, and tart blueberries give you the extra nutrition you need to fuel your body for the day. Plus, you can use the perfect amount of cinnamon, maple syrup, and nutmeg for your taste buds; not mine.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups dry rolled oats
Maple syrup, to taste
Ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg, to taste
1/4 of a cameo apple, diced
1/4 of a d'anjou pear, diced
1/2 of a banana, sliced
1/4 cup fresh blueberries

Preparation
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the oats. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, uncovered.

2. Stir in maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, apple, pear, banana, and blueberries. Serve.

The final product! 
 When it comes to the local and global food systems, I believe that we depend on both. I love buying local ingredients because I feel good about supporting local farmers, but at the same time, some of my favorite food come from halfway across the world. If I come across the decision between apples from Washington and apples from New Zealand, I'm picking the locally grown apples. If I have the choice between having bananas in my oatmeal or not buying bananas at all, I'm going to buy the bananas. A good balance between local and global is, in my opinion, best. Please use the rest of the month of April to make your local or global meal. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment